sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev module loading order

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev module loading order
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:48:21 +0200

On 13/04/06 16.10, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
[snip]
> What I've described here is imho the last and most annoying thing standing
> between us and The Future(TM). Yes, kill the beast that is hotplug. So I'm
> asking for ideas on how we could at least ensure that the network
> interfaces
> are consistent from boot one. Maybe add a script to the udev spell which
> automatically creates 00-binding.rules to carve the interface loading order
> in stone? I don't think it would be difficult.

Perhaps the network configuration tool could do that? Either by adding
the setup to 00-binding.rules or to the .dev files in /etc/sysconfig/network.

How much magic can udev actually invoke when figuring out the names of
things?

Speaking of the configuration tool - gnome comes with some gui stuff
for configuring network and a number of other things. Anybody lokked
at the possibility of adding whatever glue is needed to let them work
on our setup?

Slightly OT: Is there some cannonical setup for networking with
laptops?

currently I'm using wifi-radar to scan for networks and connect to
non-wpa networks and wpa_supplicant and ifup directly to connect to wpa
networks (including my own).

In my sort of ideal world the wired network should be configurable to
go up and down as the cable is plugged and unplugged (something like
ifplugd could probably do that) and the init system should handle this
somewhat more gracefully than today. The wireless should be managed by
wpa_supplicant, with some scripting to make bringing it up and down
nice and easy. Bonus points if it integrated nicely with some
gnome-friendly gui-stuff (yeah, sometimes I just want a point-n-shoot
interface).

Really nice would be a solution to make stuff like ssh-sessions and
incoming connections work as the connectivity changes.

But that's just me dreaming out loud.

/dossen
--
The fantasy of gold, the fairy dream that the gold is there, at the end of
the rainbow, and will continue to be there for ever provided, naturally,