sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] subversion grimoire wiki page

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] subversion grimoire wiki page
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:29:48 +0100

Op vr, 17-03-2006 te 07:44 -0500, schreef Sergey A. Lipnevich:
> Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> > I wrote a description of most grimoire work I could think of.
> >
> > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/SVN_grimoire
> >

> Something to think about (and you can add "and merging to test" at the
> end of every single one of them):
>
> 1. Merging ChangeLog;

this is trivial. simply merge as on the wiki.

> 2. Restoring scripts and patches that were deleted;

R = revision in which file was deleted

easiest way imo is:
svn copy -r R-1 FILE_URL FILE_PATH

it's also possible to do it via merge.

the same goes for directories

I'll add this one to the wiki

> 3. Removing outdated spells;

this is trivial, svn del path_to_file

> 4. Moving spells between sections;

this is trivial, svn move source_path destination_path

> 5. Editing section and grimoire-level files such as FUNCTIONS
> (similar to #1);

this is trivial

> 6. Selectively reverting changes to scripts;

ah, this is a nice one too, I'll add to the wiki
the revision in wich the change was reverted is again R

svn merge -r R:R-1 path_to_file path_to_file

note that this will only work if the diff of R:R-1 makes sense against
the HEAD revision. to be more precise, if R != HEAD for the file, then
applying the diff of R:R-1 to HEAD will conflict.

in words: if R has changed line N from: "this line" to "that line"
but revision X has changed it to "foobar", then trying to undo the
change from "that line" back to "this line" will result in a conflict.

> 7. Making a test.tar.bz2 for distribution (tar --exclude=.svn);

svn export test target_dir
tar and bz2 that dir

> 8. Really non-normal stuff like upgrading spells in php-pear (I've
> got to write this one I think).

non-normal stuff does not exist. even if you turn the whole bloody spell
upside down, the damn thing will just accept your commit to be a drastic
one, as will the merge afterwards

in short, I don't get "non-normal stuff"

> Big things that deserves more attention and would be a breath of fresh
> air for me:
>
> * no outdated silly action described by command "p4 edit" ever
> again; no "p4 edit ... && p4 revert -a ..." either for those who
> forgot "p4 edit;"

this does not exist in subversion. you whole working copy (wc = your hd)
is editable. the repository (repo = server) doesn't get locked when you
edit a file.

if someone has in the meantime committed to the same file as you are
committing you will get a conflict if your changes overlap.

> * no contacting the server for "diff."

you can diff against the version you just updated, but you can't diff
against the whole repo of course. (so you can see your local changes off
line)

> Finally, for me a huge benefit would be if I could make any changes in
> devel that I can think of, including upgrading php-pear (not trivial),
> and then one a week simply say "merge my last changes in devel grimoire
> into test." I guess it's possible in Subversion using your "An elder's
> breakfast" procedure (man, what's up with just numbering them :-)?).

it doesn't matter how long you've been on your own as long as nobody has
interfered with your changes. if you're the only one editing the lines
in the files you've been editing, you're safe.

> To tell you the truth, I find it quite confusing that we have a page in
> Wiki describing how to do grimoire work with Subversion, and we're not
> using it.

okay, I'll fix it

> A big bold warning would be good. Also, it's a little too
> entertaining for my personal taste, and may do a little bit of
> disservice to Subversion lobby here that I consider myself part of :-).

okay, I'll fix it

> Otherwise, looks good!

thx