sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome 2.14.0 Release.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome 2.14.0 Release.
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:34:42 +0100

Le jeudi 16 mars 2006 à 23:25 +0100, Flavien Bridault a écrit :
> Le jeudi 16 mars 2006 à 12:25 +0100, Flavien Bridault a écrit :
> > Le mercredi 15 mars 2006 à 19:07 -0600, Robin Cook a écrit :
> > > Just to give a little bit of warning.....
> > >
> > > I am going to be moving the Gnome 2.14.0 release into test.
> > >
> > And I forgot to mention that galeon2 refuses to launch. It proposes to
> > try "galeon-config-tool --install-schemas" but that don't change
> > anything. But this will be certainly fixed, I hope, by the devs in the
> > next few days... I will use epiphany until they do that ;-)
>
> Mmmm galeon works sometimes, I don't really understand what happens...
>
> There are also some problems with gnome-vfs2 and gnome-volume-manager. I
> am updating hal and dbus, that solves few things, but I still don't
> manage to get volumes automounted. I just created a spell for
> gnome-mount and I will go on to find the solution even if it seems
> difficult... [0]
>
> [0] https://bugs.breakmygentoo.net/view.php?id=156

I got it... :-)

gnome-vfs2 printed wrongly peripherals names, that was solved by
upgrading hal to 0.5.7.
gnome-vfs2 pmount option doesn't seem to work, it still uses mount imho
because it refuses to mount peripheral that do not appear in /etc/fstab.
However gnome-volume-manager works quite fine without gnome-mount, using
pmount, but there are some strange issues. In fact both use gnome-mount,
at runtime, if available, this is the default option. I would so argue
to switch to use that new stuff. What do you think ??

However, I spent several hours to understand WHY gnome-volume-manager
didn't work at all first. It simply exited. In fact, it needs, as gdm2,
the pam_console module. However, iirc this module is deprecated since
0.79, right ? A workaround is to touch /var/run/console/$USER and then
gnome-volume-manager magically runs... :-) Should you put this
somewhere ?
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be