sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:57:43 +0100

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:29:39AM -0800, David Brown wrote:
> I've talked at length with Arwed about the gcc compiler being
> installed in /opt vs. having them installed in parallel, I would
> honestly like to hear Seths opinions on it. Also I don't know if Arwed
> would consider doing this after sorcery has stage root installed,
> simply because it would be worlds easier to write the spells when
> sorcery gets this implemented.
>
> Would you consider making an effort to switch to installing the gcc
> compiler suite in parallel and when would you try and see this
> happening?

As your current spells for this rely on stage root, I would definitely
only attempt any such change after stage root has made it into sorcery.
What's really important to me is that it should be easy for both the
user and for spells to switch the used gcc versions, as far as I could
tell from your previous mail and Andrews comment that sorcery does
already call gcc through a wrapper script, this is probably not as big
an issue as I thought when you originally proposed those versioned
spells some time ago :)
Since that was effectively my only real concern with your setup, I'll
definitely consider that switch when it's feasible from a sorcery point
of view.

http://www.sourcemage.org