sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "SM Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:35:44 -0800

forwarded, oopse forgot to reply all.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
Date: Mar 14, 2006 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates
To: Seth Woolley <swoolley AT panasas.com>

> This is true, but the backwards compatibility of the script isn't the
> problem, nor is it the forward compatibility of the existing script.
> (Essentially the wrapper isn't going to be the source of the problem.)
>
> The problem is more likely going to come from the fact that the gcc
> spells will need *stage rooting* if I understand your current
> implementation idea for the gcc spells. Those not yet on that sorcery
> will hit a wall when trying the new gcc spells, or perhaps not if you
> code it to be supported in both. It was just an added concern that
> would come from users not following best practices (in some cases, we
> need to protect ourselves from them not doing best practices). If
> everybody followed best practices we would have very few issues for
> newbies, but the lack of suggestable boundaries in conditions like this
> can lead to not quite understandable errors. Rather than let a random
> error creep through, we should have some other explanation than "you
> shouldn't have done that, which caused the seemingly unrelated error"
> when somebody complains.

Right the spell that are in the stage root grimoire are heavily
dependant on the stage root support in proj1, currently I don't know
how to have the spell support both. I did however have the spells
working without stage root months ago, but that went into the bit
bucket when I switched to working on sorcery. If someone wanted to put
forth some effort to get the spells working without stage root then
they could (it wouldn't be hard to implement a spell level 'stage
root' for the gcc's), but that would be more work than nessisary
really, since sorcery will eventually do that for them.

So in the end we will probably just need to wait for sorcery to get
stage root working, at least at some level, before the parallel
installed spells can go to devel and test grimoires.

- David Brown