sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Seth Woolley" <swoolley AT panasas.com>
  • Cc: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>, SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC Question for the Candidates
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:11:50 -0800

> I basically agree with what Arwed said. Though, my priority is that we
> not break gcc upgrades, even in remote corner cases. Sorcery would need
> modification since it is the part of the code that handles the wrapper
> scripts. Maybe we need a general way to say "this spell requires a
> certain version of sorcery, please upgrade it first; ignore this
> message? [n]".

I'm sure sorcery can make a backwards compatable gcc script that can
use the parallel setup vs. the current setup.

Currently the way we switch gcc versions in a spell is to change the
PATH, LD_RUNPATH, and LD_LIBRARYPATH to have the /opt gcc in front so
it gets picked up. The script simply runs `ccache distcc gcc` and
both ccache and distcc loop through the path to find gcc, hence they
find the /opt gcc because it's first in the path we can easily change
that to look for gcc-3.4 or gcc-4.0 but if those don't exist switch to
using just gcc and assume the path is setup appropriatly by the
grimoire functions.

I don't think a version of sorcery is going to need to be tied with a
version of the grimoire. We have a separate grimoire to do testing
with stage root and the parallel installed gcc's and we can have
developers test it using devel or test sorcery when the code gets
there but wait on integrating that grimoire to devel when the working
wrapper script reaches stable sorcery.

- David Brown