sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Qt 4.1.1 Update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Qt 4.1.1 Update
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:59:39 +0100

On 03/03/06 20.26, George Sherwood wrote:
[snip]
> I saw some forum messages where people where calling a script prior to
> building a qt4 program and changing the names of all the binaries
> depending on what version they wanted to use to build. This didn't seem
> like such a great idea to me since you would be all changing names in
> the /usr/bin directory directly from a spell.

I think the best solution I've seen is to put the binaries somewhere
out of the way (/opt/qt4 or whereever) and the make stuff like
/usr/bin/qmake scripts that looks at say a file in /etc/sysconfig with
an environment variable to override that (perhaps even a per-user
dot-file in between), and then does 'exec $QT_PATH/qmake "$@"' -- along
with whatever other shenanigans is needed to make the whole thing
transparent.

/dossen
--
The fantasy of gold, the fairy dream that the gold is there, at the end of
the rainbow, and will continue to be there for ever provided, naturally,