sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <pieter.lenaerts AT telenet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:23:57 +0100

Op di, 14-02-2006 te 09:10 +0100, schreef Andrew "ruskie" Levstik:
> Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote :
>
> > A possible arrangement based on the above would be something where we keep
> > the TLs, but not the teams... make the TLs component leads or something
> > instead, or the "council of elders" idea but with a PL still over them.
> > Basically, have the majority of developers that work on spells continue to
> > do that, then have a tier of more "free agent" types who are working on
> > the
> > hairier stuff, then from that group have specific leads identified so we
> > continue to have ownership and oversight of the major areas instead of
> > anarchy, then a PL over them. This arrangement would be very similar to
> > what we have now except it would allow various team members to move more
> > freely between projects as they're needed or want to, and would put a bit
> > more responsibilty on the leads to make sure their areas were progressing
> > toward their goals. I'm mostly making this up as I type it, but it seems
> > like it might describe the kind of thing that happens naturally now.
> > Acknowledging it and actively supporting it might find us spending less
> > time spinning wheels and more time getting things done.

I honestly think we're going somewhere, but not the right place with this
thread and the voting process thread. there's no real problem with either
of them imho, only a feeling that something may be improved. in the case
of the voting process it's an improvement we feel someone "might" want,
and in this case I think it's rather a problem with the coordination of
our roadmap then a problem of number of teams...

who cares if someone is in web/tome/grimoire team? I happen to do work
in grimoire, wiki and website. so what if I am or am not listed in team
A or B? that doesn't influence any of the work. it happens to be the
practise that whenever someone asks for write access somewhere and has a
good reason for that, it's fixed in 10 minutes, so team labels have only
little significance.

I think if team-leads or team-members feel like there's a lack of
coordination between teams that this is a problem of fixed communication
patterns, structured communication procedures and I don't think
reorganising some teams will help anything as long as this coordination
through communication is not fixed.

I don't think voting process or team organisation threads are pointless,
I just think they're rather circling around some supposed problem,
missing the real problem.

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux

http://www.sourcemage.org
"Linux so advanced it may well be magic"