sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:57:23 -0600

Mathieu L. wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:55:24PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> That's a good point. So we'd have more this structure?
>> Project Lead
>> |-> Cauldron Lead (Porting would probably move here)
>> |-> Grimoire Lead
>> |-> QA Lead (with Security being moved under here)
>> |-> Sorcery Lead
>> |-> Tome Lead (with PR being moved under here)
>> |-> Developers
>>
>> That makes 5 "Teams" under the Project Lead and a group of Developers
>> open for assignment, with each Lead being responsible for their components
>> (e.g. Cauldron in charge of producing installers (e.g. ISOs)) and
>> organizing
>> (through mailing lists, forums, and/or IRC) the "Developers" group, where
>> any
>> Developer can work on any component (given they have permission from
>> the Lead of that component) and not being tied to any specific team.
>>
>> I would still like the Grimoire Team to have section maintainers, but
>> perhaps that could be, again, people from the Developers group asking
>> the Grimoire Lead if they can maintain a section, and if Arwed says
>> okay, then that Developer can add themselves to the MAINTAINER file of
>> that section.
>>
>> Anyone see problems with this? Shall we go ahead and do this?
>
> That seems a way better scheme to me than the previous example (imho).
> Maybe it could even be more simplified if Cauldron and QA were merged
> (as QA goal is to provide a good enough stable-rc to be used in the iso)

I don't think cauldron and qa could be merged. The ISO is a defined
release thing. We make major changes, we release, we tweak, we release.
The QA for the cauldron thing should be internal to the cauldron
specific stuff ie: making sure the installer works. QA and grimoire
would be better merged, as that's where the stuff needs to happen.

But that's just my two scents.

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke