sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization -> grimoire team organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization -> grimoire team organization
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:32:23 +0100

Op wo, 15-02-2006 te 13:55 -0800, schreef Eric Sandall:
> I would still like the Grimoire Team to have section maintainers, but
> perhaps that could be, again, people from the Developers group asking
> the Grimoire Lead if they can maintain a section, and if Arwed says
> okay, then that Developer can add themselves to the MAINTAINER file of
> that section.

I also think that this would improve the quality of service by the
grimoire team.
1. I see being a general guru as doing a lot of work everywhere instead
of just doing something wherever you feel like, whenever you feel like.
2. I think we need people committed to a section to keep things updated
and get bugs fixed. Package maintainers can be a solution, but only for
popular packages.
3. Being a general guru should _not_ be a solution for lower commitment,
very much on the contrary. By this I don't mean that we shouldn't allow
lower commitment, but there should be a difference in the naming so that
we don't expect a lot of people to do the general gurus' work.

the following may be too radical:
1. general gurus do a lot of work everywhere
2. section gurus mainly do work in their sections
3. apprentices do some work where they've asked the section guru.
I took the word 'apprentice' since we got that going around, but it
doesn't quite cover the load in the case of an experienced guru that has
to cut back his activity but still works on the grimoire. these gurus
may feel this name to be "with little respect to their abilities" (I
don't find the proper English word atm... it's early :) )

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux

http://www.sourcemage.org
"Linux so advanced it may well be magic"