sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] project organization
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:03:31 -0600

Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Feb 08, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
>> As there's been talk of removing the Project Lead position and just
>> having a Council of Elders (all of the Team Leads) you may start
>> another thread (separate from this one) to discuss that if we're
>> wanting to go along that route.
>
> I've been out of the swing of most things for a couple months and don't
> know about those conversations, but I have been talking a bit with people
> about the way the project is organized, so I guess now is as good a time as
> any to have a discussion the list. I've been working on catching up and
> was going to wait til I knew I had to raise this, so if I seem ignorant of
> things that have happened recently I'm sorry.
>

> Basically it seems to me that our current organization and plans don't mesh
> very well with the realities of people's schedules and interests. The
> results are pretty severe, as we currently are quite behind on basic things
> like security updates and are almost two months past the date we set for
> the 0.3 branch of stable and the 0.9.6 ISO.

<decapitate>

I do feel that we need a bit of a reorganization. I've thought about
where the cauldron team would fall "under" if we were to do a tiered
organization. Basically, we depend on a stable grimoire to release a
stable ISO. We also need a stable sorcery. Now, sorcery is significantly
less dynamic than the grimoire is, so that's not as big of a deal. I'm
not sure how the cauldron team fits into a tiered structure. Currently,
it's fairly simple, fix the bugs targetted for the next release, test
the crap out of it, get ourselves a stable grimoire, release stable. In
our process, the TL only needs to approve the release. I don't have to
be around to make an ISO or to enable a release. All I /have/ to do is
give it a stamp of approval. I do a bit more than that (I hope ;) ) but
that's all I need to do to make an ISO go forward. I'm not too familiar
with how the other teams work out their processes, however.

Anyways, I'll think about this more, but I do feel we need to
restructure and reorganize to enable us to make progress. We may even
need to change our goals a bit.

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke