sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] PERFORCE change 74345 by Sergey A. Lipnevich for review

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] PERFORCE change 74345 by Sergey A. Lipnevich for review
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:47:32 +0100

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:04:31PM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 04:23:39PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:

> > > Perhaps this can be synthesized from relevant portions of update
> > > manager's output.
> >
> > What portions of who's update? If you mean have our tarball creation
> > figure out certain updates from a package's HISTORY file, that sounds
> > like a lot more work (and more error prone) than asking our developers
> > to add a one-line entry to ChangeLog when they add, move, or remove a
> > spell.
>
> He's refering to the automated update reports that are sent to sm-discuss
> weekly. They include what spells have been added, moved, removed,
> or modified automatically. The suggestion is to have it, or something like
> it, make the changelog entries. I think it'd be worthwhile. The reason
> the update manager exists is because nobody wanted to summarize their
> week's work and send it off to the grimoire lead to make the
> report. Besides, it was easy enough to write a script to do it, (took
> me an afternoon).

Some of it could probably be done by a script, but not the whole
ChangeLog, see below.

> The grimoire changelog seems to be the newer manifestation of the weekly
> reports.

Not really. The weekly reports included new/deleted spells, updated
versions and any other spell changes done by the guru. The grimoire
ChangeLog includes every change that happens on the grimoire level (i.e.
without showing up in a spell's history). Mostly because there's no
other place to record such changes like deleted spells, moved spells,
added grimoire functions, ...
Technically new spells don't fit into that category completely as they
have an entry in a spell's history (their own), but several people
thought it'd be strange to include deletions but not additions.

http://www.sourcemage.org