sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:05:59 -0600

On Nov 08, David Brown [dmlb2000 AT gmail.com] wrote:
> > PROVIDES is for things that are distinct.
> >
> > We offer distinct kernel and xen-kernel spells right now. One thing on my
> > list is to get xen-kernel folded back into the regular linux spell; the
> > new
> > expert kernel option may make that easier, I haven't gotten to it yet.
>

> From what I understand with xen (similarly uml) you compile the kernel with
> a custom arch (xen for xen-kernel and uml for the User Mode Linux kernel) so
> all that 'should' be needed is the patches and the extra arches in the arch
> menu.

xen also needs custom grub configs, since you don't boot the linux kernel,
you boot the xen hypervisor which in turns runs a privileged "guest" OS
kernel as the thing the users interact with to run the other "guests". (In
xen parlance "guests" are called "domains", and there is no real "host",
just the hypervisor.)