sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ncurses 5.5 update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ncurses 5.5 update
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:14:26 -0500

On Oct 17, Karsten Behrmann [BearPerson AT gmx.net] wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:51:22 -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > I tried this upgrade on a test VM and hit another issue:

> > sh ./run_tic.sh
> > ** Building terminfo database, please wait...
> > Running tic to install /usr/share/terminfo ...
> >
> > You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g., AX.
> > These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
> > using
> > tic -x
> > If you have ncurses 4.2 applications, you should read the INSTALL
> > document, and install the terminfo without the -x option.
> >
> > tic: symbol lookup error: tic: undefined symbol: _nc_check_termtype2
> > ? tic could not build /usr/share/terminfo
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ncurses-5.5/misc'
> > make[1]: *** [install.data] Error 1
> > make: *** [install] Error 2
> > Creating compile log /var/log/sorcery/compile/ncurses-5.5.bz2
> >
> > Spells that encountered problems:
> > ---------------------------------
> > ncurses
>
> I've had this bug on IRC.
> It appears that the cause is an old ncurses still being around but not
> known by sorcery. The fix is to add ncurses at your old version (5.4)
> in /var/state/sorcery/packages and cast -c ncurses. No idea what causes
> this status though: ncurses being marked as dispelled but not removed.

Very weird.

I rolled the VM back to try again. Before I started,
/var/state/sorcery/packages had:

ncurses:20051001:installed:5.4

casting ncurses failed as before. At that point ncurses was not in
/var/state/sorcery, because the failure happens after the dispel of the
previous version, during the install. Adding the above line back to
/var/state/sorcery and doing cast -c did work. ncurses 5.5 compiled and
installed fine.

No trace of the issue Sergey reported with bash getting broken, though...