sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:50:29 +0200

Le lundi 26 septembre 2005 à 17:34 -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) a
écrit :
> On Sep 27, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:
> > > However, hropping the exit code on the floor is absolutely the wrong
> > > thing to do. That people think thats someone "okay" is quite
> > > distressing.
> >

> > Andrew, you probably read between the lines.
> > I didn't say sorcery should ignore cvs exit code. I only say stable
> > sorcery works for me and test sorcery doesn't work.
>
> Stable sorcery *does* ignore the exit code, which seemed to be what you
> were meaning by "works" for you. Test sorcery doesn't, and therefore
> complains now, and you seemed to be saying this was what didn't work for
> you.
>
> Can you describe further what you would expect sorcery to do if it tried
> cvs update and the error code was non-zero?
>
> > You asked for help with testing test sorcery so I tried it.
>
> We got 2 good bugs filed from that conversation, which I would call
> successful, so I for one say thanks for that feedback. It was a good
> question to raise.
>
> > It is difficult to claim for me several last weeks that "Working on this
> > project is about fun!". :-(
>
> Ok, it seems to me that a lot of these types of discussions lately are
> largely becoming difficult over questions of people's tone and such being
> taken certain ways. I will also note that this seems to be breaking down
> between native and non-native English speakers. So I wonder if a lot of it
> is cultural/translation problems. I know we Americans at least tend to be
> harder / more assertive in our tones, and maybe people read things into
> that which we don't mean. I hope this is something we can all work
> together on to understand each other better... as I said, I thought this
> thread was successful in discussing some issues and filing a couple of good
> bugs that will hopefully resolve the issues. What's not fun about that.
> ;-)

I already had this discussion with Seth, and I realized that I indeed
have often some troubles to well understand the tone of an american
speech. I think I'm not also yet good enough to understand jokes, and I
even misinterpreted them sometimes. That is very a pity, I'm sure there
are tons of good jokes to catch ;-)
I'm not sure what we can do against that... In my case, I will try to be
more careful and ask straightforwardly when I feel attacked, whether it
is really an agression or not. (And I'm sure this will not be the case
the most of the time).

--
Flavien Bridault

irc: vlaaad