sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:19:44 -0700

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 03:05:27PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 04:57:32PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On Sep 26, Andrew [afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com] wrote:
> > > Stable sorcery did not check the return code, it assumes cvs always
> > > works.
> > > Thats a bug. That and several other things were what prompted the major
> > > re-factoring of download code.
> > >
> > > Im open to suggestions on a better compromise behavior for failed scm
> > > checkouts.
> >
> > I guess the more complicated thing to do would look like:
> >
> > - preexisting scm checkout spool tarball is available?
> > - Y: attempt to update
> > - update succeeded?
> > - Y: create new spool tarball
> > - N: abandon any partial update, revert back to preexisting tarball
> > - N: attempt initial checkout
> > - checkout succeeded?
> > - Y: create spool tarball
> > - N: die
> >
> > The case where it fails the update and we revert back to an existing
> > tarball probably would need to ask the user what to do next*. The source
> > hasn't changed at all but maybe they want/need to do a rebuild of what
> > they
> > have anyway.
> >
> > (*It may do this now, I haven't seen a failed cvs update on test sorcery
> > in
> > practice yet.)
>
> Ok, I'll see what I can do, unfortunatly we cant really prompt the
> user for input in this phase as downloading typically happens in the
> background...

I filed bugs 9846 and 9847 for the problems brought up in this thread branch.

Please file bugs on any other issues found. Thanks.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |