sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:34:09 -0500

On Sep 27, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:
> > However, hropping the exit code on the floor is absolutely the wrong
> > thing to do. That people think thats someone "okay" is quite distressing.
>

> Andrew, you probably read between the lines.
> I didn't say sorcery should ignore cvs exit code. I only say stable
> sorcery works for me and test sorcery doesn't work.

Stable sorcery *does* ignore the exit code, which seemed to be what you
were meaning by "works" for you. Test sorcery doesn't, and therefore
complains now, and you seemed to be saying this was what didn't work for
you.

Can you describe further what you would expect sorcery to do if it tried
cvs update and the error code was non-zero?

> You asked for help with testing test sorcery so I tried it.

We got 2 good bugs filed from that conversation, which I would call
successful, so I for one say thanks for that feedback. It was a good
question to raise.

> It is difficult to claim for me several last weeks that "Working on this
> project is about fun!". :-(

Ok, it seems to me that a lot of these types of discussions lately are
largely becoming difficult over questions of people's tone and such being
taken certain ways. I will also note that this seems to be breaking down
between native and non-native English speakers. So I wonder if a lot of it
is cultural/translation problems. I know we Americans at least tend to be
harder / more assertive in our tones, and maybe people read things into
that which we don't mean. I hope this is something we can all work
together on to understand each other better... as I said, I thought this
thread was successful in discussing some issues and filing a couple of good
bugs that will hopefully resolve the issues. What's not fun about that.
;-)