sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Test Sorcery and You
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:42:20 -0500

On Sep 26, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:

> >> root@matrix:~# summon -d enlightenment
> >> Downloading source file enlightenment-0.17-cvs.tar.bz2 for spell
> >> enlightenment
> >> Previous source found. Extracting package
> >> enlightenment-0.17-cvs.tar.bz2...
> >> Running cvs update...
> >> cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
> >> if any)
> >>
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >> Creating package enlightenment-0.17-cvs.tar.bz2...
> >>

> > CVS is dying there too, looks like stable sorcery is just paying less
> > attention to the exit status from CVS. IMO that would be a bug itself,
> > since the checkout may not be complete...
> >

> enlightenment is extracting, running cvs, cvs is unavailable,
> enlightenment is packaging (the same as before).

In this case yes, but it would also be possible for cvs update to get
halfway done and then die. In either case sorcery would only have one exit
code of failure, should it continue when it gets an error code as though it
completed successfully?

> I have used it in this way from 2004-12-15. I have problems with
> cvs.sourceforge.net quite often but stable sorcery is great and never
> had problem with enlightenment sources.

You'd likely get the same CVS error right now if you tried to run cvs
update manually. Just because that error condition has not in the past
caused a problem doesn't mean ignoring it is the right thing to do.

All that having been said, I don't know if test sorcery caring doing what
it does now is intentional or not. But I don't think it should ignore an
error code from the cvs update command.