sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-devel-2005071919

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-devel-2005071919
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:21:09 +0200

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:13:23 +1200, Duane Malcolm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally tried installing this last night and I ran into a few issue:
Thanks for testing!

> 1) I couldn't boot with "install vga=792" even though I could boot my
> other partition with "vga=795". I only tried to boot with vga=792 once,
> it might be a problem with me.
Yeah, we tossed framebuffer into the trash

> 2) Grub : when I chosse to edit the menu.lst the __BOOTLOC__, __ROOT__
> and __KVER__ were still in there. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be
> there or not, but it could confuse people.
That seems to be a typo on my part in the bootloader installation.

> 3) Grub again: After saving and exiting the above editing I got the
> following message: "Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take
> a long time." And it does and I think it's because it should not look at
> floppy devices. I've had this before where I hade to include something
> like "nofloppy". The second time I did this, just before rebooting, I
> configured the bootloader again, chose grub, didn't edit the script, it
> went through but it didn't actually setup grub. I had my old grub on the
> MBR that I was able to boot from.
Thanks. I'll investigate.

> 4) When I rebooted it got to loading "sysklogd" and it stalled for about
> 5 minutes, faied and then tried to load it a second time which then
> succceeded. I'm wondering why do we need a logging system as a default,
> should the default be "none" and is it necessary to configure the
> logging system at during thet install cd?
Got a point... I guess a syslog is a requirement most people have for a
box, as it eases debugging problems by a lot...

> That was as far as I got. I did a rebuild though with no network and
> missing a bunch of source it didn't go well. But that's my fault not yours.
If you find anything that is my fault, please let me know

> I think the new install is more intuitive, but I do wonder if there
> could be a quick install option, where you mount your partitions, set
> the timezone, set your bootloader, and the rest is defaulted and
> installed. Then you reboot and configure the rest. I've noticed the
> optimization stage is not a requirement. I would really like it if I
> could setup my install in 1 minute and install sourcemage less than five
> minutes, which is possible I think (on my pc).
Thanks for the suggestion. That would indeed be an interesting option.
However, I wonder if it might not end up in a crude hack of code in
the installer. Could you file an enhancement bug on this if you like?

> This is just my thoughts and is not meant to offend or get anyones
> knickers in a knot.
Thanks for reporting, we all love feedback!

So Far,
Karsten