sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-devel-2005071919

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-devel-2005071919
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:55:45 +1200

Karsten Behrmann wrote:
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:13:23 +1200, Duane Malcolm wrote:

4) When I rebooted it got to loading "sysklogd" and it stalled for about 5 minutes, faied and then tried to load it a second time which then succceeded. I'm wondering why do we need a logging system as a default, should the default be "none" and is it necessary to configure the logging system at during thet install cd?

Got a point... I guess a syslog is a requirement most people have for a
box, as it eases debugging problems by a lot...
Ahh, but soon there won't be any bugs in there ;) Then the default should be none.

I think the new install is more intuitive, but I do wonder if there could be a quick install option, where you mount your partitions, set the timezone, set your bootloader, and the rest is defaulted and installed. Then you reboot and configure the rest. I've noticed the optimization stage is not a requirement. I would really like it if I could setup my install in 1 minute and install sourcemage less than five minutes, which is possible I think (on my pc).

Thanks for the suggestion. That would indeed be an interesting option.
However, I wonder if it might not end up in a crude hack of code in
the installer. Could you file an enhancement bug on this if you like?
Will do.