sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Better approach to firefox script

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Better approach to firefox script
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:32:59 -0500

On Aug 10, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> Our firefox script is already non-standard in that I wrote it to fix
> >> some LD_LIBRARY_PATH fun that firefox has.
> >
> > Non-standard how? Every platform that runs firefox has to deal with the
> > mozilla library issue, and they all pretty much deal with it that way.
>
> That's the reason used for why you didn't want the script modified as
> David Brown suggested...make up your mind (unless I'm misreading)
> please. You don't want a distro (even if they 'all' do it to make it
> easy) modifying what the package authors intended without good reason.

I think it's reasonable and necessary to add a symlink (with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH magic) so that people can run 'firefox' after installation
at a prompt and get a running program, instead of a "firefox not found" or
missing library error. There's no denying the mozilla developers make
things difficult for distributors.

What I was questioning is whether we want the firefox that runs to be
different from the default someone gets if they install it from source
manually and run it, assuming they also manually have done the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH magic themselves so that running it does work.

Not a big deal either way, I'm still new here so I'm not trying to speak
authoritatively on what our operating philosophies are or anything, just
thinking out loud from what I've observed they seem to be.