sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Better approach to firefox script

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Better approach to firefox script
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:17:29 -0700

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 08:44 pm, David Brown wrote:
> I attach an xfce panel button to the firefox script and find it quite
> annoying to keep getting the profile manager when I forget to close
> firefox on another desktop.
>
> I've changed the script in devel to act a little differently and would
> like other's opinions on the change in behaviour.
>
> Now when I running the firefox script it first checks to see if
> firefox is currently running and if so trys to remotely open a new
> firefox window with the profile currently running. You can still
> specify a different profile by passing the -P <profile> arguments to
> firefox and it will ignore trying to remote.

It may not have much bearing or relevance on this conversation, but the
Microsoft Windows version of Firefox does allow one to start multiple
instances w/o asking for a profile. The only time I see that box is if I
have started 2 instances at the same time (or close enough). I do like the
fact that I can click on the desktop icon or the menu item w/o having to find
the Firfox window to start another instance, like I have to do w/SM.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.