sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Better approach to firefox script

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Better approach to firefox script
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:58:19 -0500

On Aug 10, David Brown [dmlb2000 AT gmail.com] wrote:
> I attach an xfce panel button to the firefox script and find it quite
> annoying to keep getting the profile manager when I forget to close
> firefox on another desktop.
>
> I've changed the script in devel to act a little differently and would
> like other's opinions on the change in behaviour.

I've run firefox like this ever since they got -remote() working in it, and
ran mozilla and netscape like that years before. It much improves the
experience IMO, especially if you often run browsers on multiple desktops.
The main thing to watch out for is any firefox-bin instances that are
running when they shouldn't be due to hangs; the profile manager popping up
when you don't think you have anything running is a good way to notice
this, but when it stops popping up you can miss that things are awry.
However, firefox doesn't really leave itself hanging around like this any
more in my experience, and hasn't for some time.