sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] init.d problems in devel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] init.d problems in devel
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:04:02 -0400

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

Actually, it's not for ext2 (it's safe there), it's for other
filesystems. There's no "vote" issue, as SOFTFIX=yes should be default
for now until we can reimplement the crappy fsck command.

I meant that I support this setting. I didn't want to suggest to actually vote
for anything here ;-).

It's apparent from other replies (I'll just comment here since I don't
feel like starting a new email) there's some confusion on what fsck
does... it just passes checks and unrecognized arguments onto
filesystem-specific checkers "in a particular order" depending on what's
in fstab. The problem is that filesystem-specific checkers are doing a
really bad job of using consistent switches. So while the fsck manual
says -a is dangerous for some, everybody uses it anyways since ext2 maps
it to -n.

So your idea is to "emulate" `fsck -a' behavior by a script in mountall.sh?

I just think we need a lot more intelligent fs checking on startup
because if an error happens bad stuff happens. I'd almost suggest we
spawn fsck checking off onto another unused terminal with an open tty
and use IPC (perhaps a file semaphore) to let init know it's done (and
deallocate the vc when it's done).

That way the fscks can never claim there's no terminal open (which is
causing most of the headache), plus you can do a bit more verbosity with

For me, it started asking a "no/Yes" question, and no matter what I replied I
was ending up with a reboot.

Best,
Sergey.