sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] init.d problems in devel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] init.d problems in devel
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:00:02 -0700

It probably should be the default until all the problems with
filesystems we support are resolved with it. I think the only way will
be to run fsck manually on filesystems that load instead of using fsck
directly to indirectly call fs-specific fscks.

I'll have to investigate each filesystem empirically as the
documentation for the various fscks on what they _actually_ do is
severely lacking and the man pages seem to be wrong on many accounts on
what works and doesn't. :( I rather thrash my filesystems and when they
have problems (usually caused by a power outage during massive
thrashing) the fsck at boot has been too liberal for what I desire,
which is why I applied the change in devel in the first place.

Seth

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:07:53PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> My laptop didn't start with the latest mountall.sh. Setting SOFTFIX=yes
> worked though. Maybe this should be the default?
> Also, one minor things. After init.d update, /etc/sysconfig/init got
> overwritten, so the system returned back to default runlevel 3.
> Would you like me to file bugs about these problems?
> Thanks!
>
> Sergey.

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733