sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Stable 0.1 Notes and Last Call

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Stable 0.1 Notes and Last Call
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:16:32 -0500

On Jul 19, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> <snip>
> > Well, I just found something sort of interesting. It looks like the certs
> > end up in the file libnssckbi.so when NSS builds. Firefox used to have
> > this file at /usr/lib/firefox/libnssckbi.so, but now it's just there as
> > the
> > NSS copy at /usr/lib/libnssckbi.so. However, the NSS copy still appears
> > have the certs.
> >
> > If I do 'ln -s /usr/lib/libnssckbi.so /usr/lib/firefox/.', I get a copy of
> > firefox that has all the root certs and appears to work like it should.
> > So, we apparently still have the certs, we just have to make the browsers
> > use them. I don't know if this ln is the way to do that, or if the "right
> > way" is something else.
> >
> > Arwed, can you see if you see something similar for mozilla/galeon?
>
> The symlink would allow the certs to be updated by just updating nss
> instead of having to update mozilla, firefox, galeon, etc. That may be
> a benefit. :)

Yeah, I'm sure that's the kind of good thing Sergey is after by separating
these.

It sounds like this works for people... is anyone concerned this might
introduce a problem? I'm a little leery or something that just looks for a
certain .so in a certain place, it seems it could end up with other library
dependencies that aren't fulfilled correctly or something. But if people
think this works, maybe it's the thing to do. Sergey, what do you think?