sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO 0.9.4-test5 x86/ppc/x86-64 are out

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO 0.9.4-test5 x86/ppc/x86-64 are out
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:24:57 +0200

On 21/06/05 22.53, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> Just two comments to your comments...
[snip]
> > Ohh, and a couple of non-iso quick ones:
> >
> > Shouldn't firefox install some certificates? Like Verisign and such? Mine
> > installed without any, and that makes ssl rather exciting ;-) Unless this
> > is
> > a feature, I'll file a bug.
>
> Personally, I love this "feature". It means I really do get to establish
> my own trust without having to go delete all the certs for the
> corporations I don't really trust as it is to handle my ssl
> verification.
>
> On the other hand, we should make this an option.

It would be nice if there was a spell to provide a good basic set of certs.
With gpg-verification in sorcery, one could at least be sure to get what was
put in the grimoire. Perhaps the spell could provide a list of the
certificates, their checksums and the official website of the issuer, so
that "low security" verification is easy (we do trust sorcery/the spells to
some extent, don't we). It could perhaps also include some of the less
"mainstream" certificates, like cacert and such.

And really nice would be if it hey can be installed such that everything
that needs ssl (and for which these are relevant) can use them.

Perhaps the spell could be equipped with a "manual" introduction, like the
rejected spells, to inform the user of the implications of casting the
spell, what checks smgl does and _does_not_ perform before putting certs in
the spell. And also to prevent the certs from being updated without the
users knowledge (I know another spell could just install more certs, but
thats possible already today).

Another nice thing, now that I'm at it (and I'm not sure if this is normally
included in other distros), would be the proper setup for certificate
revocations (I'm fairly sure this is seperate from installing certificates
if you do it manually).

But I totally see the point in not just including the "default" bundle in
the browser spells. Having it seperate is much more "right".

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein