sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel Module Spells: information and questions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel Module Spells: information and questions
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:29:16 +0200

Mads Laursen wrote :

> PGP verify signed message
> gpg: Signature made sob 11 jun 2005 11:42:35 CEST using DSA key ID A05B4DBD
> gpg: Good signature from "Mads Laursen <dossen AT dossen.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen <dossen AT daimi.au.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen (ICQ: 14913755)"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen <dossen AT daimi.au.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen (Gnupg mailinglist address)
> <gnupg AT dossen.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen (ICQ: 14913755)"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen <dossen AT dossen.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen (Mutt mailinglist address)
> <mutt AT dossen.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen (SMGL mailinglist address)
> <smgl AT dossen.dk>"
> gpg: aka "Mads Laursen (used for MSN messenger, do NOT use
> for mail) <msn AT dossen.dk>"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: 3C53 8A56 D600 3D03 E9C0 7284 E35D 6431 A05B 4DBD
> PGP verification success
>

> Just my small change:
> On 10/06/05 19.29, David Michael Leo Brown Jr. wrote:
> [snip]
> > 2) Changing spells to compile against the kernel specified by sorcery
>
> Good idea. It would also be nice, if one could leave the modules for older
> kernels around, if it is not already so.
>
> > 3) Spells that require parts of the kernel to be built
> > /proc/config.gz
>
> If we are building against the running kernel and /proc/config.gz is around,
> I would think it is the best source. When we are compiling against another
> kernel, it is not really of any use, unless it can be dug out of the kernel
> image. In the second case, some sensible searchorder for the config files
> will be needed.
>
> /dossen

Considering that the version number is in the config.gz:
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.12-rc6

this could be checked first and if it equals the same kernel as is currently
being used by the box then use that... else fallback to since the newer is
/boot/config to that and if that isn't found to the /etc location
and if that fails well then go to the source itself.

And yes iirc modules are ignored all around. Atleast it does this with
the ati_driver spell.

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

http://ruskie.dtdm.org/blog/