sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Kernel Module Spells: information and questions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Kernel Module Spells: information and questions
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:29:29 -0400 (EDT)

Okay got several things to talk about all circling around the same topic:

1) Kernel Module Spells

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll be going thru the kernels, mobile,
and z-rejected sections looking for spells that have triggers against the
linux
spell and don't use the version of the kernel given by sorcery. This is one
of
the complaints that I've seen too many times, "Why do I have to recompile the
triggers after I've compiled the new kernel and after I then boot to the new
kernel."

Also I'll be moving stuff around as well, because if I'm not mistaken,
all
spells that create kernel modules should go into the kernels section. Unless
the
spell happens to be z-rejected, in which case it would go to the z-rejected
z-kernels section. Currently many spells in the mobile section create kernel
modules and should be moved to the kernels section. The alsa-driver spell will
also be moved in this case.

2) Changing spells to compile against the kernel specified by sorcery

I've added a few functions and a package to aid in changing kernel module
spells to use the kernel specified by sorcery:

A) get_kernel_version: this function is in both devel and test currently
and simply echo's out the correct version of the kernel first checking
linux then linux-new (for now) then if neither of those have a version
uname -r will be used

B) unamechange: applying unamechange to a spell is really a last resort
the
application involves a package and set of functions and variables.
These
are used to make uname return values set in the environment rather
than
what's running on the current system. Currently the nvidia_driver spell
has this implementation of uname change. More information will be
provided on a wiki page, when I get around to it.

3) Spells that require parts of the kernel to be built

I'm also going to implement a function that would check if the kernel was
built with proper config variables. However, I'm kind of stuck on which config
to check, there are several options and I'm not sure which order or if I
should
check these config files:
/etc/sorcery/local/kernel.config (from the old linux spell)
/boot/config-$VERSION (from the new linux spell)
/usr/src/linux-$VERSION/.config
/usr/src/linux/.config
/proc/config.gz
The interface to the function would be simple `get_kernel_config <config var>`
and it would echo the value of the variable in the config file.

For example:
echo $(get_kernel_config CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL)
echo $(get_kernel_config CONFIG_NET_RADIO)

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com