sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Being about choice is knowing where to stop

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Being about choice is knowing where to stop
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:16:29 +1200

Hi,

I've been thinking about this issue and I've been thinking about setting up setup-spells, e.g., setup-sound, setup-printing, setup-net. These would possibly become a grimoire or setion. Then you cast these setup spells, it is basically a CONFIGURE script asking you what option you want on your system, for example, I like oggs and mp3s, so during setup you'd, say, choose audio-format and choose the ones you want, and then choose sounds support and choose alsa, etc... Once this is finished the spell will run the "sorcery default add "" spell on/off" command, for example, "sorcery default add "" libvorbis on", "sorcery default add "" vorbis-tools on","sorcery default add "" libogg on". It's crude, but should evolve overtime.

So far I have these hard coded for what I like. And it works well.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks for reading, Duane

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:11:53PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

>>On the other hand, I was on a number of occasions interested in what
>>exactly are CFLAGS and configure options fed into the build, but alas,
>>there's no way to know this in general, especially for non-configure
>>spells; we don't retain or manage this information.
>
>It's in three places: the global depends store, global defaults, and the
>local persistence store.

There's also BUILD files where OPTS and CFLAGS are modified sometimes.
It's not
rare.

gaze BUILD <spell> ;)

That won't do it.

I thought you wanted to see the stuff you had entered in yourself at the
prompts.

I want to see *every option* that went into a particular spell in a *single*
view.