sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Being about choice is knowing where to stop

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Being about choice is knowing where to stop
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:11:53 -0400

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

However, just note that in your particular example of bug 8869, the
feature that we had was useless for the user because it essentially
didn't work (I agree that feature itself is not to blame, it's the
spell's problem, but the whole thing didn't work in the end).
Moreover, I had never used this --cflags feature, or even the
"customize configuration" feature of sorcery, I always disable it
because that's one less question in the long string of cast questions.

I never use it because I tend to add support for whatever I want
directly into the spell or file a bug for sorcery :)

Same here.

On the other hand, I was on a number of occasions interested in what
exactly are CFLAGS and configure options fed into the build, but alas,
there's no way to know this in general, especially for non-configure
spells; we don't retain or manage this information.

It's in three places: the global depends store, global defaults, and the
local persistence store.

There's also BUILD files where OPTS and CFLAGS are modified sometimes. It's not
rare.

I'm sure a feature to gaze could be added to make these visible to the end user.

We tend to implement before user-accessible interfaces to the underlying
system are provided in gaze. We probably should be more careful of that
in the future.

Agreed.