sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:41:25 -0400

Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding because isn't this what was proposed? The user has
to /choose/ to get the automatic-updates (e.g. VERSION=$(date)) that you don't
like.

No, your understanding is correct. But, this is not good enough (that's why I
started the whole thread about choice), because it will produce even more
confusion than it provides choice. This makes safe spells update together with
unsafe ones, and provides no incentive for the user to know what's going into
the build. When we're talking about "latest source" spells, their ideal use
case is to (a) look at the source code or follow developers' mailing list; (b)
whenever some new feature is finalized (*not* every day) *consciously* choose
to update. Both of these steps are missing in the proposed technical solution.

The alternative would be to keep VERSION=$(date) proposal but make a list of
spells updated by "sorcery system-update" advisory, asking a user not what to
*remove* from this list, but what spells to *include* into initially empty
update list. For example, spells A, B have new versions, spells C, D have
patches, spells E, F are force-updated, please pick the ones to update now? Of
course, that'd require more effort from users, so it's not really acceptable.

Anyway, I am getting tired of this whole discussion, so with my opposition being
registered, I'll accept whatever the majority wants.

Sergey.