sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:32:15 -0400

These things just create more work but little gain for users. I'm against this.

Quoting "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>:

supporting configurations that update at will and provide no means of
identifying which code went into a particular build. Any sysadmin worth their
salt would not even talk to packager who proposes such wild idea, simply
because it's as *unpredictable* as it can get. Do you realize that users

Yes that is true.

updating at different times of day in their locale will have potentially
different source code? Users will never make this choice consciously.

Well it really depends on the point of view of how lucky a user feels.
I prefer to updated cvs/svn when I want to but some users might like to
be more on the bleeding edge then others... And since it would default to
non-automatic updates I don't think it's such a big problem. But I belive
this should be imlemented so that users have a *choice? in the matter as
I recall our distro is about choice... so every user can choose what he
would like to have. No matter if it would almost never get used.

And as I have said countless times already any cvs/svn code should have
a warning in PREPARE that explains that this is development code and that
it can potentialy cause damage to the system(hey you never know what's in
it do you). Basicaly something I have in the dri spell which warns
users to be carefull with it.