sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:15:51 +0200

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote :

> Arwed von Merkatz wrote:

> >- spell asks if it should automatically update everytime sorcery
> > queue/system-update is run (only for cvs/svn/... versions)
> >

> I would like to vote against automatic update and VERSION=$(date). The
> only use for this is if one is a developer and is testing every
> incremental change. Such spells must go into private grimoires or
> whatever else, but into supported grimoires. There's no way we can
> provide *support* for such spells.

Next time read carefully. The user will be asked if he wants to use
automatic updating or not.

> >All questions asked in PREPARE, dependency on the vcs added depending on
> >the choice.
> >

> In current sorcery, PREPARE is redundant. Everythin works just fine with
> CONFIGURE. I propose we abandon PREPARE files altogether.

If I recall correctcly the only reason this works atm is
because the spell files are read through twice. Once before
casting and then again when the users confirms to cast the spells.

Any choices about what version to cast and any warning messages should go
to PREPARE not CONFIGURE. Also I propose that every cvs/svn/whatever spell
has a warning message similar to what I put in the dri spell which warns
ppl that this is a bleeding edge version which might not compile properly.

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

For all the knowledge... || URL: http://ruskie.pixelcarnage.com
I will prevail... || ICQ: 321223361
If I fail nothing is left... || MSN: ruskie_0 AT yahoo.co.uk
All is lost... || Jabber: ruskie AT jabber.org
Never to be seen again... || Yahoo!: ruskie_0
Nevermore... || URL2: http://ruskie.dtdm.org

EtPan! - nicest email client I have seen -
http://libetpan.sourceforge.net/etpan

Key ID = 32FE2034
Key fingerprint = EF36 041B E2A5 4E6F 7B3E 6B45 C0F2 E234 32FE 2034