sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.0 status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.0 status
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:47:28 +0200

Hi,

as those of you on IRC or on the p4 list know i've worked a bit on gcc
4.0.0 support the last days. Here's a short status update.
The devel grimoire now has a gcc34 spell and the
gcc/g++/ada/fortran/objc/gcj spells are updated to 4.0. All of those
work, though fortran is a major change from the previous g77, so all
fortran using spells need extensive testing (and probably patching). If
that doesn't work out we'll create a g77 spell using the one from gcc
3.4.
I've been casting and fixing spells quite randomly today, mostly just
testing what I use, and the overall result wasn't too bad so far.
Most of the spells i tested worked fine or needed only minor fixes, but
some are harder, e.g. ffmpeg/mplayer.
For those spells that just won't compile with gcc 4.0 and have no easy
patch available, I added libgcc to the grimoire FUNCTIONS. Usage is
quite easy:
- add a GCC_VERSION=3.4 (or 3.3, or 2) to the spells DETAILS file
- add gcc34 (or gcc33 or gcc2) to the spells DEPENDS
- if the spell has a custom BUILD, call 'invoke_gcc' at the beginning
With this a spell can easily switch the gcc version that's used to
compile it. It's essentially a more generic version of the USEGCC2
support in sorcery.

With the use of that libgcc I think we can get to an overall usable
grimoire with gcc 4.0 as main compiler pretty fast, especially as gcc
3.4 and 4.0 are ABI compatible when it comes to C++.

http://www.sourcemage.org