sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.0 status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.0 status
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:02:45 +0200

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:09:24PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as those of you on IRC or on the p4 list know i've worked a bit on gcc
> > 4.0.0 support the last days. Here's a short status update.
> > The devel grimoire now has a gcc34 spell and the
> > gcc/g++/ada/fortran/objc/gcj spells are updated to 4.0. All of those
> > work, though fortran is a major change from the previous g77, so all
> > fortran using spells need extensive testing (and probably patching). If
> > that doesn't work out we'll create a g77 spell using the one from gcc
> > 3.4.
> > I've been casting and fixing spells quite randomly today, mostly just
> > testing what I use, and the overall result wasn't too bad so far.
> > Most of the spells i tested worked fine or needed only minor fixes, but
> > some are harder, e.g. ffmpeg/mplayer.
> > For those spells that just won't compile with gcc 4.0 and have no easy
> > patch available, I added libgcc to the grimoire FUNCTIONS. Usage is
> > quite easy:
> > - add a GCC_VERSION=3.4 (or 3.3, or 2) to the spells DETAILS file
> > - add gcc34 (or gcc33 or gcc2) to the spells DEPENDS
> > - if the spell has a custom BUILD, call 'invoke_gcc' at the beginning
> > With this a spell can easily switch the gcc version that's used to
> > compile it. It's essentially a more generic version of the USEGCC2
> > support in sorcery.
> >
> > With the use of that libgcc I think we can get to an overall usable
> > grimoire with gcc 4.0 as main compiler pretty fast, especially as gcc
> > 3.4 and 4.0 are ABI compatible when it comes to C++.
>
> Thanks for your work on this. :) Two questions:
> 1. Should spells with USEGCC2 be converted to this new format

Eventually they should, though I haven't actually tested it with gcc 2
yet. But the plan is to first make this work in all cases, then have it
merged back into sorcery, as sorcery can make some stuff easier (like
not having to call invoke_gcc in BUILD).
If it works for gcc2, then we should probably convert the spells to use
it, so we can replace libgcc2 in sorcery by this libgcc.

> 2. Did you change GCC_VERSION=34 to GCC_VERSION=3.4 or is that a typo?
> (I haven't read the Perforce logs yet, so just say RTFC if needed :)).

Both are valid for GCC_VERSION. libgcc just removes all '.' from the
variable and uses that as postfix for /opt/gcc<postfix>.

http://www.sourcemage.org