sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for grub 0.96 testers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for grub 0.96 testers
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:59:28 +0200

Le mercredi 20 avril 2005 à 12:28 +0200, Benoit PAPILLAULT a écrit :
> Here is my test report (on x86 only):
>
> * First cast: cast -r -c grub
>
> ** I use the default answers, however some of them looks strange:
>
> Would you like to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.skel? [n]
> Would you like to use /boot/grub/menu.lst.skel as your menu.lst
> configuration? [y]
> Would you like to install GRUB onto the MBR of the drive where /boot is
> located ? [y]
> GRUB is configured to install on /dev/hda.
>
> I think it would be better if all those questions default to "n" since i
> don't want that grub be installed automatically.
>
> ** It fails with the following error message:
> configure: error: You must enable at least one network driver
>
> I think this is because of the following default answer:
> Enable diskless operation? [y]
>
> IMO, most people don't need diskless operation, so it should be "n"
>
> * Second cast : cast -r -c grub
>
> ** This time, i change the default as described above
>
> ** I hit a shell script error in CONFIGURE. Here is the correct code
> (hope it is still readable in a mail):
>
> config_query_string GRUB_TARGET \
> "IMPORTANT: Do NOT specify GRUB format any longer !!! Use
> instead the usual device file :
> for example, /dev/hda for the MBR of the first IDE drive, /dev/hdb1 for
> the first primary
> partition of the second IDE drive,/dev/sda for the MBR of the first SCSI
> drive,...etc" \
> "/dev/hda"
>
> * Third cast : cast -r -c grub
>
> ** This time, i correct the shell sript error as described above
> ** cast was successfull
> ** It works on an ext3 filesystem, i will test other filesystem later.
>
> Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru

Thanks for the feedback Benoit. :)

I just made the corrections in devel. I added a question to ask wether
or not the user want to install GRUB, before asking WHERE he wants to
install it. I think this is better like this.
However I wonder if the last prompt about asking a second time about
GRUB installation is still necessary... (And the big warning could
afraid people too ;-) ) Any thoughts ??
--
Flavien Bridault

irc: vlaaad