sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for grub 0.96 testers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for grub 0.96 testers
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:28:06 +0200

Here is my test report (on x86 only):

* First cast: cast -r -c grub

** I use the default answers, however some of them looks strange:

Would you like to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.skel? [n]
Would you like to use /boot/grub/menu.lst.skel as your menu.lst configuration? [y]
Would you like to install GRUB onto the MBR of the drive where /boot is located ? [y]
GRUB is configured to install on /dev/hda.

I think it would be better if all those questions default to "n" since i don't want that grub be installed automatically.

** It fails with the following error message:
configure: error: You must enable at least one network driver

I think this is because of the following default answer:
Enable diskless operation? [y]

IMO, most people don't need diskless operation, so it should be "n"

* Second cast : cast -r -c grub

** This time, i change the default as described above

** I hit a shell script error in CONFIGURE. Here is the correct code (hope it is still readable in a mail):

config_query_string GRUB_TARGET \
"IMPORTANT: Do NOT specify GRUB format any longer !!! Use instead the usual device file :
for example, /dev/hda for the MBR of the first IDE drive, /dev/hdb1 for the first primary
partition of the second IDE drive,/dev/sda for the MBR of the first SCSI drive,...etc" \
"/dev/hda"

* Third cast : cast -r -c grub

** This time, i correct the shell sript error as described above
** cast was successfull
** It works on an ext3 filesystem, i will test other filesystem later.

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru