sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64 /lib64 to /lib conversion fixes and adventures.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sergey AT optimaltec.com
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64 /lib64 to /lib conversion fixes and adventures.
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:25:59 -0700

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 03:18:34PM -0500, sergey AT optimaltec.com wrote:

> > > Well, to me nothing appears to be broken in devel grimoire right now. I
> > don't
> > > disagree as much now that we're over the multilib question, but I still
> > don't
> > > get why this is necessary, from technical perspective.
> >
> > From a technical perspective, it's not necessary unless you want to
> > avoid the symlink. I suppose not using the symlink is also faster on
> > the ld loader lookup since that would be through a symlink, but this
> > latter effect is made optional as described below.
>
> Not so: lib64 is never mentioned in /etc/ld.so.conf on my machine, neither
> is
> /usr/lib64. That's why I think this whole thing is kind of... low-yield.

Ah, you're correct about that, I explained it backwards. The symlink
travel that's important is not the after the linker, it's to load the
linker. All dynamic binaries will look only at
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 and then from there, after that is loaded,
does the configuration file take effect, unless of coruse you say y to
the gcc option to build all compiled binaries to look for the linker at
/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. There you should get a slight speed increase
since it can avoid the symlink lookup on every dynamic binary load.

Everything else I said though still holds.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Security Team Member Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Pacific Green Party of Oregon