sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Workload

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Paul Mahon <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Workload
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:31:06 -0500

Thank you Eric.
As the new lead I feel it's time for some direction. I'm sure we'd all
agree that SMGL is the best distribution by far compared to the other
major Linux distributions. As such, we need to start acting like it. We
are going to start going after the enterprise Linux server market and
compete directly with Redhat et al. In order to do so, I've asked Seth
(swoolley) to set up a for profit corporation based in Utah (laws there
are good for corporations) for our North American activities, another
one in switzerland (good banking system for corporations) is being set
up by Arjan (abouter), and one in the Cayman Islands (for discretionary
funding of certain... "special" activities).

In order to get support for all kinds of hardware, we will need to allow
binary and non-OSS in the main grimoire. This will require a minor
change to the social contract, but such minor changes are within my
purview as project lead, of course.

In order to pay for the various certifications, incorporations, and my
honorarium, we will of course need some kind of income. In the spirit of
the new direction, we will sell subscriptions to our user forums, and
mailing list. Effectively, people will need to pay to get support. That
income however, is not estimated to be enough, so we will probably start
selling the ISOs as well. In order to prevent piracy, I have started
talking to MacroVision (macrovision.com) about various anti-theft
protection schemes they can provide. This will, again, need some small
modifications to our social contract, but they are very minor changes.

Since Andrew has buggered off and left us hanging with the sorcery team,
David Haley has graciously agreed to be the interim sorcery lead.

Have a nice day :)