sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO TESTING: report on 2.4.29, test2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eric AT schabell.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO TESTING: report on 2.4.29, test2 iso
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:18:05 +0100

Howdy all,

Here is my report using the laptop with external usb 2.0 cdrom for
booting:

1) usb stuff is detected (static in kernel), yeah! Also like the raven
in the boot screen instead of the penguin, we are smgl after all.

2) used devfs, fine if you must but the ncurses dialogs are too small to
hold the filesys locations (for example, partitions are listed too long
for the defined boxes), this causes unreadable munching/stacking of the
text in the boxes... I just kept hitting OK!

3) Like the swapfile back to .swapfile instead of 'swapfile', invisible
as it should be!

4) Menu states that installation will begin in background, that is a
lie, it goes over the screen... too bad, that is a nice feature as I
don't need to see it all and wait while it happens.

5) Like the guided menu, the other iso does not have this anymore, this
one leads me thru the process.

6) For some reasone the networking can not be started as the networking
scripts are not avail (after creating the hostname and eth0.dev file),
just have to shell out and start by hand == modprobe <module> and
ifconfig up). Think init.d is not yet installed? not sure exactly as
/mnt/root/etc/init.d/runlevels/ is empty at this point except for link
rc -> /bin/true...

7) extra spells to install have all "No details found" in desciption
field of ncurses menu.

8) Ok, now that the install sequence has started, indeed init.d and
others are installed and step 6 is borking due to the missing initial
install that normally happened in my comment at step 4.

9) Got some grub errors on install dat device.map can't be found...

10) Now from this point on getting allot of Adding Swap space messages
and errors...

11) Done, rebooting and indeed "Grub loading, please wait... ERROR 15"

12) Ok, after initial boot again with initrd I want to choose root
device as my hda3, but shelling out here leaves me w/o ls, ls -l or any
tools???? So luckilly I can TAB-TAB around a bit with cd to see that I
need /dev/discs/disc0/part3...

13) Also seem that a rescue boot hangs on sysklogd (I am guessing it is
the same bug that was in 0.9.3 that puts an entry in facilities of
syslog=sysklogdsysklogd.... oops)...

14) Wish there was a udev or dev choice on the iso, seems I am stuck
with devfs...

That is about it, not sure why grub can't find the stage1 and such but
will sort that out. I does boot from rescue mode so basically a success!

erics
--
Eric D. Schabell M.Sc - http://www.schabell.com