sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery rebuild issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery rebuild issues
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:50:56 -0600

On Mar 04, Andrew ruskie Levstik [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> > Looking at my bet of what happened. Of 415 spells I currently have
> > installed, 306 either explicitly or implicitly depend on zlib. zlib is
> > in the basesystem, and with all those dependencies I'm willing to bet
> > was cast early. qt-x11 has a trigger on zlib, kdelibs and kdebase have
> > a trigger on qt-x11. The trigger bypassed the normal depends ordering
> > for qt-x11, kdelibs, and kdebase. So I'm thinking it wasn't in
> > whichever order, just that the trigger bypassed the rest of the
> > depencies.
> >

> I'm still wondering why so many stuff triggers on zlib... I've updated it
> many times and always said no to casting the triggers... and so far the
> system worked...

A lot of things will either link statically to zlib or build their own copy
internally, so whenever zlib has a security update they suggest you rebuild
everything that links against it. openssl is similar.

> BTW as I have mentioned a long time ago I think that triggers should be
> asked before the spell is being cast(like after the dependency resovling
> and such) Since I can't trust the box to behave if it does the
> triggers(like recasting xorg like crazy) I sit and njoy a lot of time
> watching sorcery output...

Me too... this would be really nice. All questions should be asked before
the builds start. Of course, this is something else that gets tricky if
there are triggers that have to be built immediately after they are
triggered vs. ones that can wait, etc. Ideally a trigger would only cause
the triggered cast to be added to the end of the current queue (if it isn't
already in the remaining queue), but I guess some uses of triggers don't
like that.