sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO TESTING: report on 2.4.29, test2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "SM-Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO TESTING: report on 2.4.29, test2 iso
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:00:36 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Eric Schabell">

> 4) Menu states that installation will begin in background, that is a
> lie, it goes over the screen... too bad, that is a nice feature as I
> don't need to see it all and wait while it happens.
I'm fixing this in the revamped installer

> 5) Like the guided menu, the other iso does not have this anymore, this
> one leads me thru the process.
I plan on having a guided process. Not so much as changing the menu
layout, but it proceeds on to the next step automatically. Ex:
If Command A was successful then set the default for the next time it is
drawn to B, so-on and so-forth.

> 6) For some reasone the networking can not be started as the networking
> scripts are not avail (after creating the hostname and eth0.dev file),
> just have to shell out and start by hand == modprobe <module> and
> ifconfig up). Think init.d is not yet installed? not sure exactly as
> /mnt/root/etc/init.d/runlevels/ is empty at this point except for link
> rc -> /bin/true...
>
> 7) extra spells to install have all "No details found" in desciption
> field of ncurses menu.
I'm trying to do the generated-at-ISO-build-time list for this and other
lists.

It would appear though, that other people have been modifying the
smgl.install since I declared my intent upon manipulating it. I don't
believe the devfs glitches existed in the installer I'm working off of
(henceforth referred to as "my installer".) In my installer, I've also got
the option to select udev or static dev. I don't believe the changes will
be merged into my /proj4 branch because most stuff isn't in the
smgl.install anymore. I'm using a copy of the smgl.install that was latest
as of 0.9.3, the last "stable" iso that was released.
I believe we're running into the problem of two different lines of
development again...

Perhaps I was mistaken, but I thought the smgl.install was to be placed on
hold until I can get the new one operational.

--
One login to rule them all, one login to find them. One login to bring
them all, and in the web bind them.