sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] what to do with Mozilla's Bit Rot (was: Fixing Firefox's "find in page")

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] what to do with Mozilla's Bit Rot (was: Fixing Firefox's "find in page")
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:54:58 +0100

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:08:58 -0800
Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org> wrote:
> I say go ahead, it's completely unusable as it is. Probably not our
> fault in the end, but bit-rot and poor documentation on their build
> process.
>
> I'll be first in line to test when you give the go.

I'd probably help testing too with mozilla-related things, since currently
my mozilla (with mail client) refuses to start and just comes up with a
sigsegv, regardless of whether ~/.mozilla exists.

Slowly, I begin wondering if building mozilla from source is worth all the
trouble. The mozilla and firefox and thunderbird sources seem all to be a
copy of one (I've seen compiles of ftp-related stuff building thunderbird),
and the build system seems to be a complete mess if you do anything out of
the ordinary (like possessing the new glibc).

So I would propose having a "mozilla-bin" spell in z-rejected for those that
just don't want the bother but are one way or another stuck using mozilla.

So Far,
Karsten