sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Fixing Firefox's "find in page"

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: neuron <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Fixing Firefox's "find in page"
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:03:57 +0100

> rm -rf ~/.firefox
> rm -f ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/compreg.dat
>
> lftpget
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/source/firefox-1.0.1-source.tar.bz2
> tar -xjvf firefox-1.0.1-source.tar.bz2
> cd mozilla
> cp browser/config/mozconfig .mozconfig
> ./configure --enable-xft --disable-freetype2 # it won't compile without
> these on my box
> make
> cd dist/bin
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. firefox-bin
> ==============================
>
> This did it, find in page worked.

[ ... ]

Hello, I was working with mozilla for some time, and I have to second
that not building according to their rules may lead to problems. From my
experience, not downloading the source by 'make -f client.mk checkout'
or not compiling by 'make -f client.mk build' can have side effects
( like missing svg sources or broken xpcom api ).

--enable-xft and --disable-freetype should be put into client.mk as
ac_add_options --disable-freetype2
ac_add_options --enable-xft ( <- this seems to be default from their
configurator)

Probably most of problems rised from the fact that I was using cvs head
version, though.

[ ... ]

> I didn't apply this to devel yet because there are issues:
>
> 1) How would we codify the compreg.dat removal in the spell?
> 'rm -f /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/compreg.dat' would do it, but do we do
> that
> kind of thing to people? I think this is just a cache, so it should be
> safe, anyway.

From the top of my head, putting (empty) file '.autoreg' at mozilla
directory and restarting mozilla should force the lizard reregister it's
protocols. I'm not sure about user $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME compreg.dat
thought ...

> 2) The first few times I run firefox after casting this, I get the error:
> "*** Failed to load overlay
> chrome://layoutdebug/content/layoutdebug-overlay.xul"
> And it doesn't work, I have to ctrl-c it. After I try to run it a few
> times it starts working. I don't know what this is, maybe some kind of
> initialization race condition. 'rm -rf ~/.mozilla' didn't fix this, it
> actually seemed to make it work (more restarts til it would work). Ideas
> anyone?

The only thing I can think of is placing .autoreg into /usr/lib/mozilla

... Just my 2 CZK

--
Vladimir