sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire general problem.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire general problem.
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:56:32 +0100

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:52:04AM +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Seth Alan Woolley a écrit :
> >When an official ISO comes out, gcc-3.4.x and a more recent glibc
> >snapshot should be in place in the stable grimoire.
>
> gcc-3.4 will be in stable soon??? Is it something new or did i missed
> something in the past mails?

That's something that was going on mostly in bugzilla, bug #7923.
gcc 3.4 can go to test right after we got the new glibc there.

> >A clear solution is to have benoit install a custom grimoire with all
> >his fixes onto the test iso. They don't get trammeled on update, and,
> >if he commits them to perforce, we can see exactly what he's having
> >issues with so we can pull the fixes into test and then to stable.
>
> Correct. That would be a solution I've been thinking of. But since it
> has been decided up to now that stable should be used, I will not
> consider it agreed on and won't implement it.

For test isos a custom grimoire would be a nice solution giving the
grimoire gurus some time to get fixes into the official grimoire so that
the next stable iso doesn't have to use a custom grimoire.

> >Or he can commit to devel and ask for quick testing before we do an
> >early pull to stable. In any case, if it hit perforce where other
> >developers can see active, immediate feedback, we'd actually know about
> >the problems before they become a problem. The feedback cycle works
> >both ways.
>
> I'm going to ask that for glibc. I'm pretty surprised that apparently
> nobody will take care of the bugs I reported on glibc devel version
> since they don't seem mandatory to solve the initial issue (installed
> system not able to rebuild).

Nobody said they wouldn't be taken care of. I just want the glibc spell
that fixes the most important issue into test so we can work on the next
issues without delaying the spell any further, it already took long
enough to get those issues fixed.

> I'm pretty worried about this point because, as part of my ISO job, we
> have discussed about using INSTALL_ROOT feature to solve some problem of
> the current ISO generation script and i'm currently investigating it.
> So, if the glibc spell in devel do not implement this feature, either I
> need to have my own grimoire (with the possibility of re-creating the
> initial problem), either I leave.

Devel glibc will get those fixes once the new spell has gone to test. I
know that INSTALL_ROOT support is important for the iso work, so it
definitely won't be ignored, but you have to realize that the main
target audience for the grimoire are systems that are already installed,
so bugs relating to that are fixed faster than bugs that are mostly
relevant to ISO creation.

> Furthermore, I reported as much bugs as possible because I tested devel
> glibc as much as I can and I think it would be good to have a rock solid
> glibc, especially since it's going to be in stable pretty soon. It's up
> to grimoire's people to let us know if they are going to fix them or not.

I appreciate getting those bug reports, we all want the glibc spell to
be perfect.

> Since some of the fix to those bugs have been posted in bug #7560, they
> can just be integrated in devel glibc. Can I take care of that last
> point if nobody is already doing it? (This last question is directed to
> our grimoire lead or to the people currently working in devel glibc). I
> have asked now :-)

I'll get the current devel glibc into test today or tomorrow, depending
on when I find some time to do it. Once that's done we all can get the
rest of the fixes into devel.

http://www.sourcemage.org