sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire general problem.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] grimoire general problem.
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:52:04 +0100

Seth Alan Woolley a écrit :
When an official ISO comes out, gcc-3.4.x and a more recent glibc snapshot should be in place in the stable grimoire.

gcc-3.4 will be in stable soon??? Is it something new or did i missed something in the past mails?

A clear solution is to have benoit install a custom grimoire with all his fixes onto the test iso. They don't get trammeled on update, and, if he commits them to perforce, we can see exactly what he's having issues with so we can pull the fixes into test and then to stable.

Correct. That would be a solution I've been thinking of. But since it has been decided up to now that stable should be used, I will not consider it agreed on and won't implement it.

Or he can commit to devel and ask for quick testing before we do an early pull to stable. In any case, if it hit perforce where other developers can see active, immediate feedback, we'd actually know about the problems before they become a problem. The feedback cycle works both ways.

I'm going to ask that for glibc. I'm pretty surprised that apparently nobody will take care of the bugs I reported on glibc devel version since they don't seem mandatory to solve the initial issue (installed system not able to rebuild).

I'm pretty worried about this point because, as part of my ISO job, we have discussed about using INSTALL_ROOT feature to solve some problem of the current ISO generation script and i'm currently investigating it. So, if the glibc spell in devel do not implement this feature, either I need to have my own grimoire (with the possibility of re-creating the initial problem), either I leave.

Furthermore, I reported as much bugs as possible because I tested devel glibc as much as I can and I think it would be good to have a rock solid glibc, especially since it's going to be in stable pretty soon. It's up to grimoire's people to let us know if they are going to fix them or not.

Since some of the fix to those bugs have been posted in bug #7560, they can just be integrated in devel glibc. Can I take care of that last point if nobody is already doing it? (This last question is directed to our grimoire lead or to the people currently working in devel glibc). I have asked now :-)

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru