sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Feature request for comments?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Nathan Walsh <nwalsh AT genetics.med.harvard.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Feature request for comments?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:16:43 -0500

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:26:15 +0100, Ladislav Hagara
<ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz> wrote:
> > As I've looked for games to install on my machine for my son to play,
> > it's been a little difficult to determine what the best games are.
>
> With my two students I am working on a small project named Source Mage
> Stats server.
> Try http://83.240.17.229/~babca/
> Read about.
> It is a beta version and we plan to rebuild it from the scratch.
> Now students are quite busy but after they pass exams (if they pass
> exams :-)) they will continue.
>
> From statistics it will be easy to find out how many times spells are
> installed.
> Probably: more times installed = better game.
>
> - lace -

I have been a relatively quiet user of sourcemage for quite a while now.
I have 4 machines happily running it, including a departmental
server.

The rating system mentioned is very interesting. I dislike using the
number of times it is downloaded, but this raising a possibility, that
I want to put out there even if everyone says horrible idea we won't
do it.

Question: How popular is each package? On what fraction of machines
is a particular package running(maybe broken down by version)? This
might be useful information not just for games, but for those gurus, and
project leaders who have to allocate time and resources on different
problems.

Possible Solution: If it is possible to keep track of what has been cast,
can we keep track of what has been dispelled also?

Obviously a guru looking to fix a bug should start with a package
used by 80% of the machines than a bug in a package that is only used
by 8% of the machines, unless there is some more pressing reason (like
their personal machine is one of the 8%...)

Anyway this may be too big brother-ish, and might require too much
processing and communication from a central server, but just a thought,
as some of the packages I might be willing to try out if everyone else is
running them.. Keep up the good work everyone, as I am proud of the
work you have put in.

Nathan Walsh
Harvard Medical School