sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Feature request for comments?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Feature request for comments?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:15:40 +0100

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:54:05AM -0700, Cory S wrote:
> Hi guys. I've been thinking about this for a while and thought I would
> bring it up on the list to see what people think.
>
> As I've looked for games to install on my machine for my son to play,
> it's been a little difficult to determine what the best games are. At
> last count there are 258 games in the grimoire, and it's a little
> tough to visit each game's web site to look at screenshots, etc. to
> figure out what the best ones are. Also, frequently on #sourcemage
> someone asks "what do you guys think of exim?" or "has anyone used
> proftp?", and it would be nice to have a built-in way for them to see
> that.
>
> Anyway, I thought it would be handy to have some kind of rating system
> that could maybe be stored in the DETAILS file and be contributed by
> users/gurus/spell maintainers. That way users would know what the
> general consensus is on any given spell. I guess that a command would
> have to be added to 'gaze' to be able to see it easily, and I'm still
> not sure how users could submit their ratings, but I think it would be
> helpful to have functionality like that.
>
> I also think it could really set our distro apart as it grows and more
> people start using it.
>
> So if you think that's the dumbest idea you've ever heard, feel free
> to shoot holes in it and flame me into oblivion :).

I dunno, it seems to me that the grimoire is not at all the right place
for a rating system. As a part of the packaging system, I don't think
there should be in there any trace of opinions or partiality, just my
feeling.
However I like the general idea, so maybe a wiki page with a permanent
polling system could do the trick. Each user/dev could vote once for
each soft with an auth system of some kind (gpg?).
Eventually, gaze could be taught to use a bot to go through the page and
quickly give the result to a user who doesn't feel like browsing the
wiki page.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.