sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Feature request for comments?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Cory S <fubeca AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Feature request for comments?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:54:05 -0700

Hi guys. I've been thinking about this for a while and thought I would
bring it up on the list to see what people think.

As I've looked for games to install on my machine for my son to play,
it's been a little difficult to determine what the best games are. At
last count there are 258 games in the grimoire, and it's a little
tough to visit each game's web site to look at screenshots, etc. to
figure out what the best ones are. Also, frequently on #sourcemage
someone asks "what do you guys think of exim?" or "has anyone used
proftp?", and it would be nice to have a built-in way for them to see
that.

Anyway, I thought it would be handy to have some kind of rating system
that could maybe be stored in the DETAILS file and be contributed by
users/gurus/spell maintainers. That way users would know what the
general consensus is on any given spell. I guess that a command would
have to be added to 'gaze' to be able to see it easily, and I'm still
not sure how users could submit their ratings, but I think it would be
helpful to have functionality like that.

I also think it could really set our distro apart as it grows and more
people start using it.

So if you think that's the dumbest idea you've ever heard, feel free
to shoot holes in it and flame me into oblivion :).